Running Jedi Academy in Linux (Update Nov 20, 2012)

Kaldor
    Beyond the living
    Beyond the living

Running Jedi Academy in Linux (Update Nov 20, 2012)

Post by Kaldor on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:23 am

Update November 20, 2012:

Good news: With the latest NVIDIA experimental 310.xx driver (package nvidia-experimental-310 in Ubuntu 12.04) a lot of performance issues seem to have been heavily fixed. A mouse issue seems to have been solved as well. I've more than doubled performance by doing the following:

1) Remove current NVIDIA driver, install the latest 310.xx driver (310.14 at time of writing).
    2) Run JKA in single-core mode in terminal: taskset -c 0 wine jamp.exe
    3) Play the game on a more intensive map (mp/ffa5). For me, it's just as smooth as on Windows 7.
    --------

I am likely the only T3 member who uses Linux for gaming, but I ought to post this just for reference. I am using Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit and AMD Catalyst 11.4.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit with the Catalyst 12.1 NVIDIA 310.14 driver. This guide should apply to most any distro, apart from the variations in package managers. This method works without fail for me on a wide variety of distros and even Mac OS X.

Step 0: Can I play JKA in Linux?

Due to the fact that much software is designed for Windows, there can be issues when running it under Linux. It is not meant to be able to work on Linux, but thankfully projects like WINE exist to bring Windows programs to Linux (and other) operating systems. Jedi Academy happens to be one of few games that run almost without error on WINE. Is this the fault of Linux? No. Do you buy a PlayStation game and try to run it on an XBox? Of course not. The fact that Windows software can actually work on Linux is amazing in itself.

Due to the fact that this game is not running natively (meaning not running on the OS it was intended to) the requirements are different. See below my personal hardware recommendations:

RAM: 1 GB (2 GB+ is ideal)
    Graphics: At least NVIDIA GeForce 8400m or AMD Radeon HD 5450
    Processor (CPU): At least a 2 ghz dual core processor.

As for software and drivers, there are some specific things to watch out for. When doing WINE gaming, it is recommended to use NVIDIA cards. This doesn't mean Intel or AMD GPUs won't work, it is just recommended to use NVIDIA because the WINE developers only test NVIDIA.

Make sure you are using Proprietary Drivers for AMD or NVIDIA graphics cards. The open source AMD and NVIDIA cards do not have the required performance for gaming. This means if you are using anything lower than an NVIDIA 6000 series or AMD/ATI Radeon 3000 series, you are going to suffer performance problems. Intel cards do not have proprietary drivers available.

Install the proprietary drivers by using the default Additional Drivers program in Ubuntu. Activate the AMD or NVIDIA driver for your card and all will work.

Step 1: Installing WINE

Open a terminal (press Ctrl alt t) and PASTE the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine

You will be asked for your password. Type it (you won't see the characters for security reasons). Enter y to begin installation.

Step 2: Installing JKA from CD

Insert the first CD. Browse the CD's directory and run Setup.exe with WINE. Right click Setup.exe and run with WINE Windows Program Loader. This should begin installation.

Optional: Give the Game its own directory in your home folder. I have the game in /home/yourusername/Games/JKA. This provides easy access when installing extras.

Eventually the game will ask for the second CD. Eject disc 1 and add disc 2. It should continue the installation once you proceed.

Step 3: Running JKA

There's a bug with the JediAcademy.exe program. You will want to run jamp.exe from the GameData directory. This is located wherever you installed the game to. If you followed my advice, this will be /home/yourusername/Games/JKA/GameData. In this directory you can right click jamp.exe and run it with WINE Windows Program Loader.

The game should load and all will be well.

Notes

If you have performance issues, consider the following:

1. Run JKA in single-core mode in terminal: taskset -c 0 wine jamp.exe

2. Are you using Compiz, KWin, or Unity? Disable it. Compositing eats up a lot of power and interferes with 3d performance. Log out of your desktop and select your name in the login window. Change your session to "Ubuntu Classic (No Effects)". Enter your password and press enter. Note to NVIDIA users: Install the NVIDIA 310.x driver to solve this problem.

Edit for clarity: If you are not using Ubuntu, then use GNOME Fallback mode or disable Desktop Effects in KDE 4's desktop settings. If you haven't upgraded from GNOME 2.x yet, then just disable metacity/compiz compositing.

3. If the gameplay feels too slow, turn on m_filter. In JKA run /m_filter 1

4. Did you install the correct version of WINE? The WINE in Ubuntu 11.04 is the Stable 1.2 version. The development versions on the WINE website are unstable and have many issues regarding mouse movement. If you installed WINE from the Winehq website, then uninstall wine1.3 and reinstall wine in the Ubuntu Software Centre.

5. As mentioned in Step 0, make sure you are using proprietary graphics drivers. Open source (default) display drivers are unable to handle a game like JKA. If you use an Intel card, you're sad out of luck.

6. If the game feels laggier than it should on your AMD card, disable Catalyst AI in AMD Catalyst Control Center (amdccc). In some cases it is known to interfere heavily with WINE.

Intel Users Only

On Linux, Intel only provides open source graphics drivers. While this is much superior to binary blobs from a development/integration standpoint, the performance is not yet on par with Windows. JKA will not likely run nicely if you use Intel graphics on Linux, but some steps can be taken to improve the experience.

1) Identify what processor you have. Most likely, anything less than a Sandy Bridge (Intel HD 3000 graphics) will not be fast enough.

2) Run the latest version of your distribution. This matters a lot for open source graphics users. The open source graphics drivers incrementally improve during the development cycle. Kernel improvements, Xorg updates, etc, can make a 10% performance difference.

3) (Ubuntu) use a PPA for newer graphics stack. xorg-edgers is potentially unstable, but may improve performance.

4) As mentioned in the Notes section, try running without Compiz or any compositing desktop environment.

--------------------------------

Hopefully this will be of help. Fedora tutorial available upon request. Post in this thread with any questions or join in on IRC; I'll be glad to help!

Last edited by Kaldor on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:45 am; edited 5 times in total
    Kaldor
    Beyond the living
    Beyond the living

Re: Running Jedi Academy in Linux (Update Nov 20, 2012)

Post by Kaldor on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:26 am

Updated with more information regarding performance.

Current date/time is Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:52 am